I’m in love with Greek New Year Bread and I didn’t have all the ingredients needed to make the bread this year. I decided to add all the flavours in a muffin and I am absolutely in love with them! The muffins came out amazing and the taste is spot on! Exactly like the Greek New Years Bread! Here is what you will need:
This recipe makes 12 muffins.
Preheat oven to 350F
Bake for 25min
2 Cups of White Flour
1 tbs Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Cup Sugar
1/4 tsp Mastic Powder (GREEK GUM)
I buy this from a Greek pastry store.
1 Cup Milk
1/2 Vanilla Pod (Scrape the seeds out of the pod. Use only the seeds in the recipe)
1 small package of Mahleb
(“Mahleb or Mahlab is an aromatic spice made from the seeds of a species of cherry, Prunus mahaleb. The cherry stones are cracked to extract the seed kernel, which is about 5 mm diameter, soft and chewy on extraction.Wikipedia“)
I usually get this at a Greek Pastry store.
1/4 Cup Butter
( you will need the zest & Juice of two oranges)
1/2 Cup Icing Sugar
2 1/2 tbs orange juice
Mix and add more or less for your desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Get all the ingredients ready and measured.
- Get your muffin tin ready and add the muffin papers.
- Spray the muffin papers.
- In a bowl add the dry ingredients. Flour, baking powder, salt, sugar mastixa powder and the zest of two oranges.
- In a pot, warm up the milk with the vanilla pod scrapings and the mahleb. You can also add the vanilla pod skin. After you warm it up strain it. Let it cool.
- Once it is cool add the butter, egg and orange juice in the milk and mix.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Fill the muffin papers and bake for 25 min.
- Let them cool and Drizzle the Icing on top.
*YOU CAN USE 1/4 CUP OF COCONUT OIL INSTEAD OF BUTTER
*YOU DON’T HAVE TO USE THE 2 GREEK INGREDIENTS MAHLEB & MASTIC. I tested the recipe without them and with the coconut oil and it turned out perfect!
If you make these I would love to see pictures and let me know how you like them! TWEET ME!
Thank you all so much and have a beautiful weekend!